Sunday, February 12, 2012

Does Chris Brown deserve a Grammy? Just as much as Rihanna "deserved" a beating

Right now Chris Brown's producers, crew, family and friends are probably all celebrating his win tonight at the Grammy's for Best R&B Album. I know that people make mistakes and sometimes deserve a second chance, but personally I find the image below hard to forget.


I am not saying that Chris Brown is not a talented R&B artist, but I feel like in this globalized world of instant communication, we as a society have a increasingly short memory span. Our society idolizes celebrities, and like it or not, young impressionable minds look up to these people. I must admit, I do like a few Chris Brown songs, but I truly believe that he should not have even been nominated because of his history of domestic violence. Do we really want to send the message out to young boys that it's ok to beat your girlfriend, as long as you are really sorry after? That people will still look up to you and idolize you no matter what? I think that there are PLENTY of other talented rappers and R&B artists that are just as deserving of that Grammy. Celebrities don't have to be perfect. They are people too. But we (the consumers) can choose which album to download and what songs we request on the radio. Are people really "over" domestic violence? Is that old news now so we can just pretend it never happened? Many artists careers have been ended over a lot less. Is Chris Brown really sooooooooooo talented that we should just forget about his past? I don't think so.

No comments:

Post a Comment