Monday, April 2, 2012

Aung San Suu Kyi Elected (again!) in Burma!


In my lifetime, I can honestly say I have never seen a crowd of smiling Burmese citizens in the news. I am so happy to write that Nobel Peace Prize winner Aung San Suu Kyi has been elected democratically in Burma (aka Myanmar). If you didn't already know, Burma was under violent military dictatorship from 1962-2011 and brutal ongoing civil war. Last year, the military government was replaced by a civilian government, and hope for an end to the decades long civil war became prevalent.

Recently, I watched two amazing documentaries telling the stories of some of the people of Burma. The first which I saw at the TIFF Human Rights Watch Film Festival was Burma Soldier which followed the life and memoirs of Myo Myint, a former (you guessed it) soldier, political prisoner and peace activist. The second film I watched this weekend was Burma VJ. I will discuss that film further under "Documentary of the Week". I couldn't help but imagine how the Burmese citizens featured in these two powerful films are feeling today, as their hero Aung San Suu Kyi is finally being recognized as the official leader of Burma in a landslide victory for the opposition party.

Aung San Suu Kyi had already been elected democratically in the 1990 election, however her political enemies had her living on house arrest from 1989 up until November 13th 2010. It is so uplifting to see how a country so positively destroyed economically, emotionally and violently could do a complete 360. I can't imagine being born into a country where journalists are murdered for even taking a picture or delivering the news to the world. Hopefully the joy of the Burmese people will not be short-lived.

We have to remember: Peace and democracy are not to be taken for granted. People are dying all over the world even today for the opportunity for their children to vote and have a say in the affairs of their own countries. I hope the international press continues to follow this rare good news story.


Congratulations Aung San Suu Kyi! 
This is a monumental win for democracy and a step towards WORLD PEACE! 

No comments:

Post a Comment